E. Lawrence Brock JD, AEP
As I walked out of the courtroom, the bailiff was calling for backup. Two of the children of the decedent were starting to fight in the courthouse hall. I was the attorney administering their father’s trust. This was a case that brought home the message that not all trusts are created equal and they may not do what the trust maker had intended them to do.
This case, along with others, pushed me in my quest to find a way to use today’s Internet to help people obtain the best customized plan for them at a reasonable cost. A process that will be simple and understandable, yet with all the benefits of the attorney’s experience and expertise. A process that helps families recognize the wisdom and values that are the foundation of their lives. Then, infuse it into their estate plan and their plan is no longer a sterile legal document.
I am an attorney licensed to practice law in both Utah and California, with over 45 years of experience in the legal profession. I have seen every kind of litigation and the destruction of families because of poorly drafted and prepared estate plans.
The reason for estate planning is not just to save taxes, avoid probate or lose your assets to the government. Based on my experience, the reason for your estate plan is to share all of your assets, not just the financial assets, with a clear purpose and to provide leadership to the generations that follow.
Professionally, my goal and purpose is to help families craft estate plans that provide peace of mind, protection, financial savings, leadership, purpose and guidance to the next generation.
My practice is limited both in the number of new clients I accept each month and the types of cases I accept.
My wife and I recently moved to St. George from the Chino Valley in Southern California. We wanted out of the congestion of Southern California and to be closer to our children (really the grandchildren) who live in the Salt Lake area, but did not want the snow. Each of us had three children when we married 28 years ago. We added two more children.
As a result of my life’s experiences, I help families plan their estate and pass on their most important assets in a very personal way.
I invite you to explore this website and I hope you’re able to learn as much as possible from the articles, blogs, videos and webinars and that they will assist you in completing your estate plan.
I am the only member of Wealth Counsel, a National Organization providing drafting software and education for attorneys in Southern Utah.
What Floats My Boat
The Mission of St George Estate Planning is to go beyond the basics
To Provide Legal Services
That Are Responsive to The Needs of The Client,
Facilitative (Not “No” But “Here’s How”)
Value Additive (Legal Advice Should Anticipate and Prevent Problems and Suggest Improvements),
Turnkey (Understandable, Readily Implementable and Practical),
Free from Errors,
Consistent with Legal Requirements.
Education & Professional Affiliations
- California State University at Los Angeles, BA, 1975.
- Southwestern University School of Law, JD, 1979.
- Accredited Estate Planner by The National Association of Estate Planning Councils.
- Member, Board Of Directors of the Southern Utah Estate Planning Council 2015 to 2019
- Member, Southern Utah Bar Association
- Founder and First President, Howard W. Hundred LDS Law Student Association at Southwestern University School of Law.
- Founder and First President of the Student Section of Los Angeles County Bar Association.
- Member, Board of Governors and Officer of the Lawyers Club, Los Angeles County, 1983 to 1986.
- Former member of Los Angeles County Bar Association, San Gabriel Valley Bar Association, Eastern Bar Association of Los Angeles County, Western San Bernardino County Bar Association, San Bernardino County Bar Association, Riverside County Bar Association.
- Member, Board of Governors of Settlement Now, an organization of attorneys sponsoring alternative dispute resolution, 1991 To 1997.
Experience During 40 Years as an Attorney
- Litigated hundreds of cases in the areas of Personal Injury – Plaintiff, Personal Injury – Defense, Family Law, Criminal Law, Juvenile Law, Bankruptcy, Environmental, Collection and Construction Defect.
- The last 25 years have been focused on Estate Planning, Probate, Trust Administration, and Contested Estate Litigation.
- Presented a number of programs on Alternative Dispute Resolution and Negotiation to attorneys, law students, and insurance adjusters.
- Presented a number of Estate Planning and Probate related programs to attorneys sponsored by the National Business Institute.